How it works
How to use the Firstcheck Skin App
The Firstcheck App is user-friendly and fun.
With just a few clicks you can have your mole, spot or other skin concern checked by a local skin cancer expert.
Your Firstcheck App will guide you every step of the way.
Watch the video to see the app in action:
If you’d like to see the process laid out step by step, then this is just for you!
- Download your free Firstcheck App from the App Store or Google Play.
- Open the App, select your country and register to create a secure personal account.
- Click ‘New Consultation’.
- Take good clear photos of the mole / spot / lesion / area from different distances. See these great tips to make sure your photos capture what the doctor wants to see.
- For further-enhanced photos, take a third photo with the Firstcheck SkinScope™ (which gives you a 20x magnified skin image (dermoscopic photo). You can elect to skip this step if you haven’t yet got your Firstcheck SkinScope™.
- Click on the mannequin/model to show where on the body the photos are taken.
- Complete a the questionnaire to inform the skin cancer expert of any relevant information – for example how long you have had that mole or spot.
- Choose a doctor to help you.
- Pay via PayPal, credit card or coupon code (consultations from $19.95).
- Sit back and relax. You can expect a response from your skin cancer doctor within 72 hours.
Watch the video below to see the SkinScope™ in action:
Using your Firstcheck SkinScope™ is simple too:
- Lift/open the hinged lid/flap on the top of the SkinScope™ to expose the sticky surface.
- Depending on your smartphone’s protective case, you may need to remove it.
- Stick your SkinScope™ directly down on top of your smartphone camera lens with the lens on the camera lining up with the lens of the SkinScope™. Your smartphone camera will take it’s photo shooting through the SkinScope™ lens.
- Apply a liquid to the skin over the mole or spot. Water is fine – and a light vegetable oil or hand sanitiser is even better. You should make your choice based on what is most appropriate for your skin so as not to irritate the skin. Lightly massage the liquid on the skin but leave a visible surface drop of liquid on the skin.
- Place the SkinScope™ (now attached to your smartphone camera) directly on to the wet skin, so it is pressed against the mole / spot and pressed down on the drop of liquid. Pressing the SkinScope™ to the skin ensures the right focal distance and creates the clearest images and removes any air bubbles in the liquid.
- Ensure you are in good light and that light can reach the SkinScope™ and the space between your smartphone and the skin.
- Ensure the photo is clearly focussed on the mole / spot (tap where the mole / spot appears on your phone’s screen to prompt your phone to focus on that spot).
- Keeping still hands to avoid blur, take a photo using your smartphone camera, as you normally would. You may like to use the timer function on your smartphone to automatically take a photo after 3-seconds so you can focus on holding your smartphone steady.
It’s that easy!
Your Firstcheck App and Firstcheck SkinScope™ are very user-friendly.
If, however, you do have any questions, you might like to visit our FAQ page for more information.