Firstcheck is committed to safeguarding your privacy. In this policy we explain how we will manage any personal information collected being information about an identifiable individual.
Data collected by Firstcheck
- Firstcheck may collect the following information:
- Images / photos of a skin concern which you choose to post or upload (which may or may not, by themselves, enable an individual to be identified).
- Information about and describing a skin concern which you choose to post or upload (which may or may not, by themselves, enable an individual to be identified).
- General information (e.g. your gender, age, region, ethnicity, etc) which you choose to post or upload (which may or may not, by themselves, enable an individual to be identified)
- Your national health index number or health practitioner index number which you choose to post or upload (which only enable an individual to be identified in the hands of health sector users with authorised access to the national health information network).
- Identifiable information (e.g. your name, date of birth, email address, phone number).
- (Where you choose to have a health practitioner submitting a case on your behalf and you choose to provide that health practitioner with your contact information) Information that you share with the third party health practitioner (e.g. your name, email address and phone number).
- Your email address for registration and communication purposes.
- Information relating to any purchases you make through Firstcheck.
- Information relating to your computer/device/phone and about your visits to and use of Firstcheck.
- Information that you send to us in communicating with Firstcheck.
- You must not provide Firstcheck with any identifying information relating to another person or use Firstcheck on behalf of another person, except if:
- you are the parent or legal guardian of a child or otherwise legally authorised to make decisions for the individual who lacks capacity to consent (according to your appointment as a guardian or by enduring power of attorney); or
- you are a registered third party health practitioner with a Firstcheck health practitioner login and have obtained full and proper patient consent and captured written consent by obtaining the patient’s signature in the Firstcheck app where prompted).
Security and storage
- Firstcheck takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal and sensitive information it collects is protected and securely safeguarded against loss, unauthorised access, disclosure, use, modification, interference or any other misuse. Despite taking all reasonable steps, Firstcheck does not guarantee that information will not be the subject of unauthorised access, loss or misuse.
- Firstcheck retains information about an identifiable individual in accordance with the applicable laws, regulations, codes, standards and guidelines. Firstcheck does not hold information for longer than is required for the purposes for which the information may lawfully be used.
- Firstcheck may, at its discretion, notify you if information has become available to unauthorised individuals or organisations. Firstcheck reserves the right not to notify an affected individual if circumstances are such that notification is not warranted and/or appropriate.
Uses and disclosures of data collected by Firstcheck
- Firstcheck may use and disclose the data it collects in the following ways:
- Skin specialists. To pass the information on to health care providers to enable them to provide the (independent) services to you;
- Evaluation and Payment. Firstcheck is permitted to use and disclose the data submitted for purposes of (a) evaluation by health care providers, and (b) payment. For example:
- Firstcheck may disclose data submitted to a health care provider for purposes of an evaluation.
- Firstcheck may use and disclose the data collected in connection with the processing and payment of claims and other charges. All payments are done through independent and reputable third parties. We will share information with our payment services provider only to the extent necessary for the purposes of processing payments you make and dealing with complaints and queries relating to such payments.
- As Required by Law. Firstcheck may use and disclose the data collected to the extent required by law.
- In connection with the Firstcheck service. To administer our web and mobile applications and our business, to enable your use of the services available on our website, to supply to you services purchased through Firstcheck and to receive our newsletters or marketing communications (you can inform us at any time if you no longer wish to receive such communications). Our web and mobile applications may allow third party advertisements. Services to you may include (without limitation) optional appointment booking services and follow-up for clinical reasons.
- Outside Country. In order to provide you with the Firtscheck service, your information may be stored on servers located outside your country. The entity responsible for storing that information will not be subject to the local Privacy Principles in relation to the information. In using the Firstcheck service, you expressly agree to this condition.
- The following categories describe unique circumstances in which Firstcheck may use or disclose the data it collects:
- Public Health. Firstcheck may disclose data to public health authorities or other governmental authorities for purposes including preventing and controlling disease and reporting apparent breaches of law. Firstcheck may, in certain circumstances disclose the data to person who have been exposed to a communicable disease or may otherwise be at risk of contracting or spreading a disease or condition.
- Health Regulatory Agencies. Firstcheck may disclose the data it collects to a governmental or regulatory agency for authorized activities such as audits, investigations, inspections, licensing and disciplinary actions relating to the health care system or government benefit programs.
- Proceedings. Firstcheck may disclose the data it collects, in certain circumstances, as permitted by applicable law, in response to an order from a court or administrative agency, or in response to a subpoena or discovery request.
- Law Enforcement. Firstcheck may, under certain circumstances, disclose the data it collects to a law enforcement official, such as for purposes of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person.
- Deceased Persons. Firstcheck may, under certain circumstances, disclose the data it collects to coroners and medical examiners for purposes such as identification, determining the cause of death and fulfilling duties relating to deceased persons.
- Research/Statistics. Firstcheck may, under certain circumstances, use or disclose the data it collects that is necessary or desirable for research purposes or for statistical purposes (but third parties will not be able to identify any individual user from that information). All data used for this purpose will be anonymised.
- Training/Education. Firstcheck may use and disclose the data collected in connection with education and training, such as (without limitation) the continuing education of dermatologists, general physicians, industry partners, and medical students. All data used for this purpose will be anonymised.
- Health or Safety. Firstcheck may, under certain circumstances, use or disclose the data it collects if necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the health or safety of a person or the public.
Your rights regarding the data Firstcheck collects
- You have the following rights regarding the data maintained by Firstcheck:
- Copies. You have the right to request a copy of any information that we hold about you. You must submit your request in writing to Firstcheck. Firstcheck may impose a fee for any (internal or external) costs associated with your request. Firstcheck may deny your request to inspect and/or copy your data in certain limited circumstances. If that occurs, Firstcheck will inform you of the reason for the denial, and you may request a review of the denial. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
- Amendment. You have a right to request that Firstcheck amend your data if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete, and you may request an amendment for as long as the information is maintained by Firstcheck. You must submit your request in writing to Firstcheck and provide a reason to support the requested amendment. Firstcheck may, under certain circumstances, deny your request by sending you a written notice of denial. If Firstcheck denies your request, you will be permitted to submit a statement of disagreement for inclusion in your records.
- Complaint. You may complain to Firstcheck if you believe that your privacy rights have been violated. To file a complaint with Firstcheck, you must submit a statement in writing to Firstcheck at firstname.lastname@example.org , attention: Privacy Officer, Firstcheck Ltd. You have the right to complain to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.
We may update this policy from time to time by publishing or uploading a new version to Firstcheck’s app or website, so please review the policy occasionally to ensure you are happy with any changes (which take effect from the date of publishing/uploading).